The charred corpse of an inmate at Leipzig-Thekla, a sub-camp of Buchenwald concentration camp, is photographed by Allied soldiers of the United States 69th Infantry Division. On 18 April 1945, SS guards set fire to the barracks housing some 300 inmates and shot those who attempted to escape the flames. The sub-camp had been established in September 1943 to supply labor for the German war effort. At its height, Leipzig-Thekla held approximately 1400 prisoners. Near Ettersberg, Thuringia, Germany. 19 April 1945.